19/03/2019 by Rose Eveleth
Today, we travel to the deserts. Or, actually, the deserts travel to us. What happens if dust swallows up over 30% of the planet?
→ → → Background reading, source material and other links here ← ← ←
As air pollution gets worse, a dystopian accessory is born ← My piece on face masks mentioned in the episode!
Guests: Sumant Nigam: climate researcher at University of Maryland Morgan Gorris: PhD candidate at UC Irvine Christina Xu: freelance technology researcher Lindsay C. Stringer: researcher on land use and sustainability at the University of Leeds Matthew Bowker: soil ecologist at Northern Arizona University
Actors: The Snowglobe Narrator: Brent Rose Lenny Haywood: Evan Johnson Farah Mousterian: Zahra Noorbakhsh, host of Good Muslim, Bad Muslim John Jacob Siwa: Joseph Jones Juana Aguilar: Tamara Krinsky, host of Tomorrow’s World Today Amy Trisol: Ariela Morgenstern
Flash Forward is produced by me, Rose Eveleth. The intro music is by Asura and the outtro music is by Hussalonia. The episode art is by Matt Lubchansky.
Get in touch: Twitter // Facebook // Reddit // firstname.lastname@example.org
Support the show: Patreon // Donorbox
Subscribe: iTunes // Soundcloud // Spotify
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices
Listen Date: 2019-05-03
- Another terrifying global warming episode after the relatively cheerful magnetic polar flip one
- Learning about the biocrust was fascinating and I hope the research makes it to success in the field soon
- I had read about Valley Fever long ago in the days when I was mainlining longform.org
- Is Amy Trisol a reference to the Trisolarian desert in The Three Body Problem?
- The extent of desert expansion – Gobi and Sahara is seriously scary.
- I should look for the Chinese straw protection method and see if it can be replicated in our gardens and fields.