Watch Date: 13 May 2020
Watched on: Netflix
After learning Michael’s retirement will be an eternity of torture, Eleanor decides to deactivate Janet, the only one able to send Michael away.
Trying to uncover the truth, Michael interrogates Eleanor about her life, and also interviews Chidi, Tahani and Jianyu. Chidi faces a moral dilemma.
Michael has difficulty negotiating for Eleanor’s fate. The Bad Place demons misbehave at Tahani’s house. Chidi bonds with the other Eleanor.
- I’m surprised that nobody referred to the trolley problem when discussing whether killing Janet to save Michael was worth it or not.
- For that matter, the personhood of Janet brings back memories of the Flash Forward episode which talks about how transporter beams are murder.
- More dorky things for Michael to focus on. But somehow, that flat “it’s too salty” seems out of character – I would have thought he’d have been overjoyed at how salty it is.
- The Bad Place being equal parts mundane hell-is-other-people-who-are-douchebags awfulness, and traditional torture was inspired, I thought. As was the idea of the bad place demons being white douchebags.
- ‘Real’ Eleanor was also a delight.
- I think I need to slow down my watching again.