Watch Date: 23 May 2020
Watched on: Netflix
Rebecca wants Paula to be part of her girl squad with Heather and Valencia. Meanwhile, Trent tries to infiltrate Rebecca’s guy friend group.
- Ooh, Spice Girls pastiche!
- As cringe comedy goes, this was much higher on cringe than comedy. The way Rebecca was overthinking what a friends group should be like as opposed to just chilling out and enjoying what was happening… sheesh.
- Plus the whole Paula track felt a little bit like “How many escalating catastrophes can we cram into an episode?” A bit like the Dick Darlington escalations from Coupling.
- By contrast, the Darryl and Maya subplot ended up being just as blunt and blatant and tell-not-show, but it felt more organic. Weird.
- Somehow, no emotional punches landed that hard. Usually I need a palate cleanser after a CXG episode, but with this one I’ll be able to dive right back in.