13/02/2019 by Sebastian Major
Web player: http://podplayer.net/?id=63539393
Recounting the atrocities that took place in the Congo Free State during the reign of King Leopold II is a daunting process. It was a state where sadism was the norm and severed human hands became a grizzly form of currency. Still, a proper accounting of these horrors is essential to getting to truth of Leopold’s regime. How bad did things get in the Congo Free State? What did it take to end the crimes against humanity? Tune in and find out how the first African-American historian, Bob Marley, and the greatest act of pimpery in history all play a role in the story.
Listen Date: 2019-03-23
- The story of chopped hands becoming currency in the Congo Free State because soldiers needed to turn one in to be issued a bullet, was truly horrifying.
- An accountant brought down the Congo Free State! Holy shitballs, finally that tribe does something useful in life.
- Leopold getting paid by the Belgian country to sell the Congo to them is again a desi-businessman level of bailout manipulation. Good lord. This was the country which Britain drove itself into a frenzy about starting a World War over. (Though Leopold had gone by then.)
- Having to get the vine rubber out before French and British plantation rubber trees matured – whatay extraction, it turned rubber into mining from forestry.
- This is the cruelty which my industry was born from. So it goes.